All Posts

The Healing Companions: Unveiling the Benefits of Psychiatric Service Dogs in California

How Do I Register An Emotional Support Animal in the US ?

Understanding Emotional Support Animal Registration

An Emotional Support Animal (ESA) plays a crucial role in the mental and emotional well-being of its owner. Across the United States, including in California, the process of registering an emotional support animal involves several steps that are designed to verify the legitimacy of the ESA and ensure the owner’s need for such support.

Within the ensuing passages, learn how to register an emotional support animal in California and discover the benefits and requirements of having an ESA.

What is an Emotional Support Animal?

An emotional support animal is a pet that provides therapeutic benefits to its owner through affection and companionship. Unlike service animals, ESAs are not trained to perform specific tasks related to a disability.

Instead, their presence helps mitigate symptoms of emotional and psychological conditions. The need for an emotional support animal must be prescribed by a licensed mental health professional.

The Legal Framework for Emotional Support Animals

The legal protections for emotional support animals in the US are mainly derived from two federal laws: the Fair Housing Act (FHA) and the Air Carrier Access Act (ACAA).

These laws ensure that individuals with emotional or psychological disabilities can live with their emotional support animals without facing discrimination, and they can also travel with them.

Steps to Registering Your Emotional Support Animal in California

Consult a Licensed Mental Health Professional

The first step in registering your emotional support animal in California is to consult with a licensed mental health professional (LMHP). This professional, such as a psychologist, psychiatrist, or therapist, must evaluate your need for an ESA as part of your treatment plan.

Obtain an ESA Letter

If your LMHP determines that you would benefit from an emotional support animal, they will provide you with an ESA letter. This document is a formal letter that states your need for an emotional support animal.

It should include the license type, number, and the state of the licensed professional, along with their signature and date.

Submit Your ESA Letter for Approval

Once you have your ESA letter, you can use it to request accommodations in housing or to travel with your emotional support animal. You do not need to register your ESA with any state or national registry in California; the ESA letter is sufficient to prove your need for an ESA.

Know Your Rights and Responsibilities

It’s important to understand your rights under the FHA and ACAA, as well as your responsibilities as an ESA owner. You should ensure that your emotional support animal is well-behaved in public and does not pose a danger to others.


Registering your emotional support animal in California primarily revolves around obtaining a valid ESA letter from a licensed mental health professional.

This letter is your key to ensuring that your rights are respected when it comes to housing and travel accommodations. Understanding and following the proper channels will help you and your emotional support animal live a more stress-free and supported life.

Real California ESA offers legitimate services, which adhere to California law.

Services of Real California ESA are fair and transparently priced for residents in the state of California seeking a written letter approved by a mental health professional for an Emotional Support Animal, Psychiatric Service Dog, or both.

To find out more about Real California ESA, visit their website today.

Frequently Asked Questions

A service animal is trained to perform specific tasks for a person with a disability, such as guiding someone who is blind. An emotional support animal provides comfort just by being with their owner and does not require specific training.

No, you do not need to register your emotional support animal with any government agency. An ESA letter from a licensed mental health professional is all you need.

Under the Fair Housing Act, landlords are required to provide reasonable accommodations for emotional support animals, even if the building has a no-pet policy. They can only refuse if the animal poses a direct threat to the health and safety of others or would cause significant property damage.

There may be a fee for consulting with a mental health professional to obtain an ESA letter. However, there are no additional fees required to register your emotional support animal.



Recent Posts


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Share Post